Online Bidding: Testing your Site
Prior to your event night, Greater Giving recommends testing your Online Bidding site. This is helpful for your administrators and volunteers to have a familiarity with the site. The best way to do a test is to create test information in your Greater Giving Online Project, and to use the site as if it was event night. This will involve creating test packages, placing test bids, and removing the information afterwards.
Step 1: Create a Test Section
- From the Project Home, click Project Settings under the Project Tasks header.
- Click the Item & Package Sections tab.
- To create a new Section, click the Add button in the toolbar.
- Enter “Online Bidding Test” for the Section Name.
- Select Sell Online for the Online Bidding Type.
- Enter the Bidding Open Date & Time and Bidding Close Date & Time. These dates and times should fall within your testing window.
- Click Save.
Step 2: Create Test Auction Packages
- From the Project Home, click View/Edit Packages under the Packages header.
- Click Add in the toolbar to create a new Package.
- Select Auction for the Package Type.
- To best see how actual Package information will appear on the Online Bidding site, enter the following information.
- Section (This should be the Section created in Step 1)
- Minimum Bid/Raise/Guaranteed Purchase
- Click Save when finished.
Tip: Create more at least two Packages so that your volunteers can see what its like to move from one package to the next on the site.
Step 3: Create Test Supporters
- From the Project Home, click View/Edit Supporters under the Supporters header.
- Click Add to create a new Supporter.
- Provide the following information (minimum):
- First/Last Name
- Mobile Phone
- Click Save or Save and Add New.
Tip: Create a Test Supporter record for each volunteer and staff member that will be participating.
Step 4: Enable Online Bidding Access
There are three different ways to provide your volunteers and staff members with Online Bidding Access.
- Check them in using Go Time. See: Online Bidding: Guest Check In
- Checking the Is an Online Bidder box in their Supporter Record. See: Enabling Bidders for Online Bidding.
- Provide them with a self-registration link. See: Online Bidding: Self Registration Testing
After your volunteers and staff members have been provided with access, they will receive a welcome message (text and/or email depending on your settings) with a link to the Online Bidding site. They can begin placing bids on the open section with your test packages created in Step 1 and 2.
Step 5: Delete Test Information
Once your volunteers and staff members have had the opportunity to test the Online Bidding site, make sure to delete any test information that was entered. This could include the test Section, test Packages, test Supporters, and test Sales.