Data Exchange with Greater Giving Online
Often, Greater Giving Online is used in conjunction with other donor management systems or constituent relationship managers. To this end, Greater Giving has added in a few tools to allow for organizations to have an easier time in transferring the data between the two (or more) software programs. Below, we cover some best practices as well as simple How-To’s of Data Exchange.
Taking data from your Donor Management System and importing it into Greater Giving is much like any other Import. However, the most notable difference is the requirement of what Greater Giving refers to as Alternate ID. This commonly referred to as constituent ID, customer ID, or any other unique identifier for a Supporter in another database. The Alternate ID field can be mapped in your spreadsheet for Import/Export, and can be found manually under a Supporter’s Basics tab.
To Import into Greater Giving:
- From your Project Home, click View/Edit Supporters under the Supporters
- Click the Import
- Click Choose File. Select the excel sheet generated from your Donor Management System (what type of export is dependent on your actual system) and click Open.
- Click Next.
- Choose your field mapping. The left hand side is fields found on the Import file. The right hand side is available in Greater Giving Online.
- Use the drop down menus on the right hand side to choose which of your fields will be mapped to Greater Giving fields.
- Ensure you have the Alternate ID mapped, NOT the Supporter ID.
- Once all the left hand fields have been mapped (marked with a green check mark) click Next in the bottom right hand corner.
- The system will ask to Save your mappings. This can be useful if you do multiple imports of the same type. Click Next.
- The system will then show you a summary of Supporters to be imported. This will include Supporter Name, Supporter Type, and an Import Status.
- At this point, you can go back and fix any errors that are present, or make a check to Skip Rows with Errors to import only Successful rows.
- Click Next to import.
- Finally a Summary Report will appear that can be exported back into Excel. Click Finish to return to View/Edit Supporters.
Exporting Data Back to Your Donor Management System:
After your event, you will want to take all the data that was entered into Greater Giving Online back to your Donor Management System. This can be done through a number of pre-generated reports, or if we do not have your Donor Management System listed through some basic Greater Giving Reports that show the Alternate ID (which we should have originally mapped in our Import into Greater Giving Online).
- From your Project Home, click All Reports & Exports under the Reports & Exports
- Click the subsection for Donor Management Systems Exports.
- Browse our available pre-generated reports. Depending on what you are trying to do, you may need to run 2 reports (Such as a SUP-05a: Raiser’s Edge Supporters for contact info and a SUP-05b: Raiser’s Edge Gifts for the actual gift information).
- If your organization’s Donor Management System is not listed here, click on the Supporter Reports & Exports subsection and run our SUP-02: Sales for Accounting Make sure to select the option for Alternate ID to show on the report.
- Click Run on All for the report tied to your organization’s Donor Management System.
- All Output Formats should be in Excel or CSV. Specific Settings are dependent on what Donor Management System you are using.
- For instance, if using Salesforce you have an option for General Use or NPSP Templates, as well as what type of Opportunities you want to export.
- If using Raiser’s Edge, you have the ability to enter a specific Campaign or Fund, as well as some specifications for Item Value, Entry for Checks, and Member Gifts in Household.
- Click Next to actually generate your report. It should automatically download on the next screen.
- The actual Import Process will depend on your Donor Management System. Please refer to your Donor Management System’s help documentation when importing data from Greater Giving Online.